June 20, 2017

Peony Blooms Thank You for Birch Press Design



I am up on the Birch Press Design Blog today with a tutorial.  Have you had a chance to use the new Peony Blooms Stackable Dies yet? Watercolouring has become my new favourite colouring medium to use in crafting. Today I am going to use Peerless Watercolors in dilute washes for the layers of my peonies to create a monochromatic flower with lots of dimension.


To begin I cut one each of the Peony Blooms Stackable dies--Layer A, Layer B and Layer C using 140 lb cold press watercolour paper.


I started by cutting small pieces of the watercolor films from the Peerless Watercolor book that I was going to use for the flower and foliage. I colours I used were Royal Scarlet, Royal Crimson, Carnation Pink, Light Green and Brilliant Yellow. Put each piece of cut film into a different tray of a watercolour palette. Add a small bit of water to each of the trays to dissolve the colour from the film and tint the water, then remove the film from the trays with a pair of tweezers. ETA: Carnation Pink was added to the palette after photographing.


Starting with Layer C I applied a generous amount of water to the die cut flower and then I painted the flower with the full strength of my dilute Royal Scarlet wash. I set it aside to dry.


Next I did the same with Layer B using the Royal Crimson dilute. After the first layer of colour dried a bit I went back and added some darker highlights to the edges of the flower in the same colour but directly from the film in the book. I set that layer aside to dry.


For Layer A I painted the Carnation Pink dilute directly to the dry die cut and then set it aside to dry.


For the leaves I painted Layer C in Brilliant Yellow and added Light Green to the centre. For the leaves in Layer B I mixed some of the Brilliant Yellow and Light Green together in last available palette in my tray to make a yellow/green then I painted the Layer B leaves with it. I added more water to the custom yellow/green dilute to lighten the colour a bit more and painted the last leaves from Layer A.


Once all papers were dry I assembled the Peony and leaves onto a white card base, isn't the dimension achieved from the monochromtic watercolouring amazing? Finally the thank you sentiment from Dragonfly Greeting clear stamp set was die cut using the die from the Dragonfly Greetings die set and adhered to the card.




Head over to Birch Press Design to see the full post.


9 comments :

Kim Heggins said...

So beautiful...love all those pretty pink layers, the colors are amazing. Those flowers are stunning, what an incredible way to say thank you!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Soooooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING those colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teresa Doyle said...

This is beautiful Tracey, I love it!

I Card Everyone said...

An exquisite card, Tracey ... swoon-worthy, my friend! What a great way to create your own perfectly perfect pink! xx
=]

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful layering of multiple die cuts and your watercoloring is lovely Tracey!

Annette Allen said...

those layered dies are so cool.. very pretty card.

Lisa Elton said...

Beautifully done Tracey, this is amazing!!

Cat Craig said...

wonderfully colored Tracey, and thank you for the tutorial on the watercolors. I had no idea one could do that.

Nora Noll said...

What fabulous watercoloring on these dies!! I love the fun layering with the different colors used. Great use of the dies!!